Wednesday, December 16

Crafty Collage

Last Friday night I had the pleasure of hanging out with a couple of friends at the Ah Haa School for the Arts to partake in a little crafting fun. I got to paint more pottery (which I love - photos to come post firing) while everyone else was really into collage card making. I am not ashamed to admit that I am not an artist - in any way, shape, or form. I like to study other people's art, but start to get anxious when it comes to creating art myself. I think I am too anal to be an artist - this is not to be self-deprecating but rather to be honest about my abilities. I am ok with this reality, honestly.

Anyway, with only a few minutes before we had to clean up & lock up the school, I finally broke down and started feveriously throwing a card together using the most disturbing images I could find - I think I may have some issues. At the end of my collage work, I decided to dunk the entire card in beeswax. Have you ever worked with the stuff? I absolutely love it! It gives everything a wonderful patina and a rich texture. What have you used beeswax for? I am addicted & now want to cover everything in the stuff.


The spread of materials. We had old newpapers, National Geographic Magazines, old Encyclopedias, old phonics flashcards, odd books of sorts, and lots of other goodies to choose images from.
Oh - and wine & snacks of course.


My five minute final product. Art - meh, not really. Disturbing - definately.
Hard to see the beeswax here, but the card has a really thick coating...I swear.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

beeswax! That is awesome - I have never worked with it before. But sounds great. I love your collage - the puzzle piece the bullet. Very fun.