Thursday, February 4

Magnificent Marshes

I am beyond thrilled to be returning to Savannah, GA next week. Not only is it our former home, but it is also one of my most favorite places in the world. I cannot believe that we are returning for a visit again so soon after our big November excursion to the south. Yippee!

So, in honor of our return trip, I thought I would go back through our photo archives and post some of my favorite images from this amazing southern gem. I have a few posts in the works to share with you all as I prepare for our visit.

When most people think of Savannah, they think of the many incredible buildings that make up the downtown historic district. And while that is true (and one of the reasons we moved down there - so I could get my masters in Architectural History from SCAD), Savannah is much more than old buildings. Just a few miles from the historic district are the beautiful beaches of the low country. We spent a lot of our "down time" from work (and school) out at Tybee Beach exploring the magnificent marshes by sea kayak.

Justin had the incredible opportunity to view the marshes from above when his
Dad came out to visit us in his plane. I love how the water carves into the landscape.


I mean, with the sun setting on the horizon? Sigh.

Before we moved, one of my requests was for us to paddle through
the marshes out to Cockspur Island to visit the lighthouse.


So, this is a terrible photo of our dog in her life vest, but this was 2004 & we had a crappy camera. How cute is she for tagging along with us? The lighthouse was totally open and we climbed to the top to get a great view of the shore.

This tiny island is only accessible via kayak and the "ground" consists of oyster shells. Bringing the dog out ended up not being the best idea as her paw pads got completely chewed up & were bleeding everywhere. I love this little lighthouse though - from the Civil War. The forty-six foot tower has a unique feature - it's eastern side is shaped like a prow of a ship to better withstand the force of the high seas. Amazing.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Sonchia - these photos are beautiful. Would to have a field trip to Savannah with you all sometime. Have a great time on your trip lucky girl!!