Friday, February 12

Home Again...

Sigh. It feels so great to be back in Savannah again. I love the southern charm, the Spanish Moss, the relaxed vibe. We have lots of things planned while we are here & lots of friends to visit with. While here, Justin and I are actually not staying together. Justin is staying with some family friends who spend time both in Savannah and in Telluride. I am staying with my old boss (and friend) next door to our old apartment. The house where we used to live is an historic home built in 1852. We rented the "garden apartment" from two wonderful guys who have since sold the house and now live in a smaller place a few blocks away. We loved our place and now it is being completely gutted by the new owners. Staying next door, I have a bird's eye view of our old courtyard and it brings back a ton of memories. So, thanks for indulging my trip down memory lane here. These photos are from 2004, so please excuse the quality.

124 E. Taylor St. We lived on the ground level.

This is not the best image, but this was our back door in the courtyard. One of the owners was a landscapper and we had the best courtyard with an amazing fish pond & beautiful plants. The courtyard was featured in many books, one being this one.

Our bedroom. We had absolutely no money when we lived here - I was in grad school & Justin was starting up his own web design business. I had a sewing machine at the time & made all of our window treatments & such. The walls were plaster & we had the hardest time hanging anything - and since we were renting, we really didn't have free reign to do much.

We had two fireplaces in our apartment, one in the bedroom & one in the living room. We used both as often as the weather would allow. Now that we live in Telluride, we don't have one single fireplace - when we need it most!

I know this is random & not a spectacularly interesting image, but I loved our little bathroom. It was super simple, but now that we have gross grey/blue bathrooms in Telluride - I wish for our basic little bathroom in Savannah.

Moving Day. I was so sad. This is our bedroom. Empty. Even the dog is sad.

The kitchen - which, yes, I had painted a melon color. It worked, I promise.

Our living room. I cried for a week straight after leaving this apartment. We did have the chance to revisit the apartment shortly after we left. We got to see how the new renters were using the space. I cried after seeing how they lived (it was depressing - I will leave it at that), but it helped me "let go" a bit more.

8 comments:

Rebecca said...

This house is BEAUTIFUL. I know why you cried. The hardwood floors? The fireplace. Wow. I love it.

I need to find my old hilarious pics from our Tucson house back in 1997. :)

Sonchia said...

OMG - you have some? I lived there for 9 months & don't think I have any pics. Hilarious. I don't think "High Design" was any part of living there.

Rebecca said...

I have a lot of pics from that summer but they are all at my parents house - will have to find them. So funny. Our living room had only a vacuum cleaner and hamper. Who knew we would all grow up to be house and home furnishing freaks? :)

Sonchia said...

I lived in that tiny room with a hand-me-down twin bed, Kmart sheets, and milk crates for my books. I think the problem was that I just didn't care, too temporary. I finally got inspired once I moved into my own place. Love that you have pictures though. So fun.

Unknown said...

It was a nice place.

Rebecca said...

Yay! Justin can make comments! Sorry it was not working for awhile. Glad you are back.

Sonchia said...

He can. And I told him that if THAT is what he was going to post as a comment than I might take him off. Oy.

lisa_d said...

Beautiful place you have there Sonchia.

house for sale Philippines