Wednesday, February 3

DIY: Bookshelves

So, I came across this bookshelf while scouring the intraweb this morning. Yes, it is a nice bookcase using very nice materials. I get it. I can even get the $300 price tag. I know a lot of craftsmanship went into building this - yadda yadda yadda.

For a mere fraction of the price, you can build something similar to this and have it custom fit your spatial needs. In our 10 years together, Justin and I have lived in 3 different homes - Tucson, Savannah, and Telluride. We each own (& love) books - so we therefore have many. In each place we have lived, Justin builds us a custom bookshelf - each unique to the home we live. Super easy, super cheap, and totally custom.

Wherever we are, we hit up our local home improvement store. We purchase as many sheets of your basic pine board as needed and have someone there cut them to our specifications. Justin picks out some all-thread, washers, and nuts. I go on the hunt for stain (usually some shade of walnut). Once home, I stain the boards & Justin drills the holes for the all-thread. Throw on a couple of the washers & nuts and voila!

I tried to find some photos of the shelves we have had in previous homes, but the photos sucked. We have built them up to the ceiling in other places - the ones here are pretty low and fit just under our sprial staircase. Industrial, cheap, and custom - pretty cool.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

$300?!!?
I would rather pay to fly you and justin out here and we could make some bookshelves. :)

Sonchia said...

Done.

Rebecca said...

:)

Unknown said...

You may have saved our marriage.